Kakai Hulless Pumpkin Recipes
This pumpkin is known for its hulless pumpkin seeds ~ great for roasting!
We’re also fond of it for stewing.
Roasted Hulless Pumpkin Seeds
- Separate the seeds from the pumpkin flesh and strings and wash well (usually putting them in a large bowl of water and rubbing them between your hands is a fast way to clean them). Drain in a strainer for about 30 minutes and then spread them out on a baking pan. Use a hair dryer to dry them quickly.
- Preheat oven to 275. Spread the seeds evenly over a cookie sheet and lightly baste with a mixture of 4 tablespoons of melted butter and 1 teaspoon sea salt (or other salt).
- Roast in the oven for 10 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Stir about every 5 minutes.
- Ovens may roast differently and it may take as little as 10 minutes. However, ours took much longer – more like 30-40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and serve hot or cold.
- Variations on the basting: You can add garlic salt, or cayenne pepper for an interesting kick! Or, add pumpkin pie spices for a more festive twist!