Stewed “Apple-y” Pumpkin
When we first cut into this pumpkin, we were surprised at how much it resembled apples in color and texture. So, we figured it might stew well just like apples. It turned out that our assumption was correct.
For about 2 servings, use 1 ½ to 2 cups chopped pumpkin flesh, cut into about ¾ inch pieces.
- Heat a skillet on medium to medium high with about 1-2 tablespoons butter. Once the butter is melted, add the pumpkin.
- Sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice. We used a pre-mixed spice that included cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, cardamom and lemon peel.
- Add about 1 to 2 tablespoons of sugar (I am sure honey would work very well too!) and allow to cook, stirring frequently.
- The stewed pumpkin is done when it appears slightly translucent (just as stewed apples would). We even allowed ours to get a little caramelized (brown).
- Serve warm as is or over some vanilla ice cream!